Saturday, May 17, 2008

Hodge podge.


A few recent happenings:

1. We began round two of potty-training three weeks ago. Lily has been using the toilet for #2 since September but after a 2 month battle that included lots of urine on the floor and even more screaming, we opted for the Pull-up approach. Expensive, but well worth it in her case. Though we're still hammering out some kinks, round two is going way better than round one.

2. Apparently, Lily has been inspired by her newfound grown-up-ness and has also mastered the following skills in recent weeks: pumping herself on the swings, putting her shoes on without complaint (without complaint being the operative phrase, here) and buckling herself in her car seat.

3. Rachel is starting nursery tomorrow! This is the first time since having children that we will be sending our youngest off to nursery before having another bun in the oven.

4. It seems that Anna is blossoming. This has manifest itself in many ways, but here's a quick illustration. First, she had to display a talent at Joy School a couple of weeks ago and chose to dance. When all the boys groaned and covered their eyes in agony, she continued prancing around without even flinching. Normally, such a reaction from her peers would have sent her running away in tears, but she's developed rather thick skin in spite of the fact that she has no older brothers to beat it into her.

5. Tim and I went on another hot date last night to a Boise Philharmonic concert downtown. They accompanied a couple of pretty amazing Broadway performers singing some of the greatest love songs from Broadway. I was inspired. It reminded me that it is my job to foster a love of music in my children. I often sit down at the piano to sing and am perturbed when my kids immediately run into the room and start banging on the keys. I feel like they've invaded "my time", you know? Consequently, "my time" is becoming less and less frequent just so I can avoid the frustration of being interrupted. I need to do better. Any ideas?

6. We are enjoying our last wave of tulips and are anxiously anticipating the roses and lilies. Tim's babying our lawn to a deep green and it's lovely to relax in the comfort of the afternoon shade on our back patio and take in the view. Now, if we can only keep Rachel from using those sweet little hands to speed up the death of the flowers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay so I'm pretty sure I want to cry. Your update on Anna is fantastic! On a side note...I really hope you will have pictures of the tulips to show us when you come next week. Wahoo! NEXT WEEK! Never sounded better.

Topsy said...

Beautiful Update.
Sounds like it is time for another baby. Just kidding. You know how I hate to be alone in misery!

Valerie said...

What a great post, Susie. Thanks for all the news. How did Rachel do in nursery today? Lily's progress sounds wonderful, and I'm so happy for Anna. Life is much more enjoyable when we aren't worrying about what other people think of us. For her to begin to learn that now is priceless. We can't wait to have you all here - you can even come early if you want...

Lindsay said...

This morning I was trying to find some music for our Primary to sing on Father's Day. I began to play and instantly the littles appeared at my side. Emma wanted to sing too. Sawyer wanted to play the piano. I found myself getting frustrated too. I am not sure I have any great ideas on what to do about this except to play more often and play sometimes simply for your children. I have fond memories of falling to sleep to the sounds of my mother playing the piano so maybe you could try sitting down to play just as the kids are going to sleep. I think I need to take my own advice...