Friday, May 9, 2008

Lunch is served.


The other day I dropped by the bank to make a deposit after a visit to the park. The bank is in the neighborhood of the local high school and it happened to be lunchtime. There's a snow cone shack right next to the Wells Fargo so I spent a few minutes watching the high school kids on their lunch break. They were all well-dressed, the cars they drove much nicer than the Chevy Sprint I drove as a high school student and their meals far more hearty than the tiny Hardee's twist cone I sometimes spent my lunch money on. In their case, the snowcone was the dessert, not the actual meal as my Hardee's cone was for me.

I couldn't help but reflect on my days as an AF High Caveman (woman?). You see, I only got money equivalent to one day's worth of school lunch per week. The objective: make your own lunch from home the other four days of the week. Fair enough. Sadly, I was too lazy to do so. After squandering my hard-earned afterschool job money on Hogi Yogi or Del Taco during my junior year, I opted for the more economical approach my senior year. I served my fellow students lunch in the cafeteria every day.

You laugh. Let me tell you why this was perhaps one of my most shining moments. First, I got out of my third period class early every day. Second, I got free lunch and instead of borrowing money for food, I was pocketing the few dollars a week I got for a net gain of probably hundreds of dollars over the course of the year. Third, I learned that it is possible to be a cafeteria worker and still be cool. Did wonders for my self-confidence. Fourth, I got more than one vegetable a day (the other furnished by my wonderful mother, who fed me dinner daily). And fifth, I became a recognizable face in a school of 2000 students. (In fact, two elders in my mission placed me as the girl who served them lunch their sophomore year... hahaha)

My parents did me a great service by allowing me to want for something. My days as a cafeteria worker were more than a funny story. They were a pivotal moment, a point of reference to bring me back to earth when the tugs of affluence seem too strong to resist. Maybe a bit on the philosophical side, but true.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are a ton of things that I do not know about you. Specifically things that you did during the time frame that I lived in Mexico. My sister the lunch lady...very cool.

Anonymous said...

Didn't know that either Suz. What a champ!

Steph said...

Susie,

I haunt your blog regularly, but I had to comment on this. I, too, worked the lunch line in school. While others made fun of the lunches, I was eating for free AND making money (minimal though it was). Good experience and profitable in more ways than one!! No wonder you are such a wonderful, well-rounded person!

Steph Whitted

Greg Jackson said...

Susie:
Twist cones for lunch are not enough. We are so proud of you and the person you have become and are. I teared up when I read this story and grateful for the perspectives you have learned because you have been open and willing to be humble. Have a Wonderful Mother's Day Love Dad

Topsy said...

Ahhh, twist cones. I wish McDonalds still made those orange and vanilla twist cones. They were the best.

So we have your lunch lady days to thank for the well rounded and grounded woman you've become today.