Tim asked me last night if I had ever considered having five children in our little (or not so little) brood. My first thought: we've had this conversation before. It always ends the same way: let's just get to number four and then we'll talk.
You see, when we first got married we agreed that four sounded like a healthy number. As we've borne several children, the numbers fluctuate, decreasing drastically if I'm entrenched in my first trimester of pregnancy or in the middle of potty-training and increasing as we watch our children playing happily in the backyard on a sunny afternoon or when they sweetly tell us they love us before quietly tip-toeing off to bed.
I've always left the door open for truckloads of kids, largely because I came from a family of seven (kids, that is) and loved it... most of the time. I also feel that we've been blessed so abundantly to be able to bear children and have the financial means to support them that we should stretch ourselves by having more rather than less. Tim thinks that four is enough of a stretch. Still the struggle to settle on a number ensues.
So last night when he broached the subject, I wondered why he was suddenly so open to having more than four. I found his response rather sweet. He said he finds so much joy in our family. Once he gets past the sleep deprivation, the girls are pretty amazing to him. He also said that when we get together with my family (as we did this past weekend) he enjoys the feeling of having my siblings, their spouses, and their children around. It's simply a lot of people, a lot of fun, and a lot of love.
Rewind about 15 years to my parents pulling their hair out over 4 teenagers (one with Muscular Dystrophy), 2 elementary-age children (with their own struggles) and a two-year-old! The task was probably almost too much to bear at times. But they have a lot to show for it.
So I think we're still holding at four. But we have to get there first. And once there, I'll keep you posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I never thought I'd get past one, personally. And this time, for the first time in my life, I'm absolutely amazed and humbled by this sweet little new man in our household. But I can't help feeling daunted at the same time. I told Brett yesterday, "do you realize that by the time I'm healed, not engorged and able to move around without pain will be in two months, by then I'll have been pregnant or suffering in pain, nausea, and discomfort for an entire year! AHHHHH!" So while I think I could have another one, I wish that he or she could be picked up in the super market. I'd be willing to pay a little extra even!
great thoughts. that question is one that often can't be answered, or planned for, hastily.I think you're both wise to keep an open mind. I can't wait to feel the "joy" that comes with having children!
What a thought-provoking post sis. Wise words. Wise sister. How blessed am I? Love you!
I think that you should have 12.
Post a Comment