Last week I got to pick out my Mother's Day chocolates on a family trip to Costco. Yesterday I picked out my Mother's Day flowers while on, yet another family trip to Costco. My husband knows me well. He knows that although I recognize the thoughtfulness of a surprise, I also love picking out exactly what I want.
Tim served me buckwheat crepes with strawberry syrup, fresh berries, and whipped cream for breakfast this morning. It was delicious. Anna cooked up some scrambled eggs to add savory to the sweet. Lily screamed the whole time we were eating about what a mean mom I am. Then she peed on her bedroom floor just as we were walking out the door for our 9 am church meeting. Dang, that girl has got timing.
In sacrament meeting, the youth and primary kids sang the most touching rendition of "Love is Spoken Here". I fought to control the tears, partly because it was the first time that Anna had been brave enough to make the walk up to the stand and join a Primary performance. Somehow she's made it through 1 1/2 years of Primary without mustering the courage to share her beautiful voice with the congregation. Until today. It was a sweet moment.
The kids played without incident all afternoon while I worked on my part of the Primary activity we're having this coming Saturday. It's been hanging over my head for weeks now, so it feels good to finally have something concrete rather than just ideas floating through my head. Tim grilled up some hamburgers and hot dogs for dinner. Again, it was delicious. And again, Lily told me what a mean mother I am. Anna reminded her that she shouldn't say such things on Mother's Day. I reminded Anna that no one should say such things any day.
We capped the evening off with Tim's famous strawberry shortcake. Lily fell asleep in my lap at 7:20, a pleasant end to a turbulent day with her. Tim's a bit frazzled at having played mom most of the day, but who wouldn't be? I can't wait to see how it turns out when I leave him with all three girls to take a 5-day trip to Boston in three weeks. Bless his little heart.
6 comments:
I was just reading Elder Ballard's talk from this past conference in which he says that the joy of motherhood (and I might add life in general) comes in moments. Sounds like you had a glass-half-full-half-empty kind of day, and you managed to focus on the full - those positive moments. Good going Susie!
Glad you had a good Mother's Day. (Despite the "bad mommy comments")Love the pretty flowers!
That's really awesome you get to go back to Boston!
Suz, your writing amazes me..I love it! (Not to mention your parenting skills) This post was especially good in my opinion. That having been said,I'm glad we could talk for a few minutes on Mother's Day. You are a gem sis! :)
I want to go to Boston! Spencer and Lily have something in common, I think that they enjoy telling people they are mean.
Boston, you lucky dog! Those orange roses were exquisite!
By the way, I'm starting a Susie Mantra in my head. I bet you can guess what it is about. . . haha!
It is not satisfying to be called names when the opposite is the truth about you efforts as a parent. Why are you headed to Boston?
Post a Comment