Wednesday, May 21, 2008

We're in the money.

Salary.com just out with the worth of a stay-at-home-mom. Slightly less than last year, but according to them, we should be making six figures for our efforts. $116,805 to be exact. Really, the whole thing is laughable. I ran across this blog post today, which of itself was only average. But the comments? Hilarious.
A few of my favorites (along with my unsolicited opinion):

"I'd gladly stay home, but who can afford that in today's world? The US is now a two-income family mandate. "

Just another sign that America needs some serious lessons in frugality. I have friends living in Southern California and downtown Manhattan (arguably two of the most expensive places to live in the U.S.) who are making it work with one parent at home. Has this person ever considered the possibility that a SAHM could actually save the family money? Try cooking meals from scratch, shopping yard sales or even making your own laundry soap. 7 freakin' cents a load. Gosh, with all that time we stay-at-home-moms have on our hands (note the sarcasm, here), surely we could find something to do besides spend our husbands' hard-earned money.

"116,000 Thousand dollars a year? You have to be kidding me, another attempt to make women who don't hold jobs feel more important."

Don't worry, Andrew, those of us who stay at home with our children, love it and do it well don't need Salary.com to quantify it for us. And that is what is so ridiculous about their estimate in the first place. Why are we so bent on attaching dollar signs to things? Is a salary the only measure of success in today's world? Yes. Yes, I suppose it is.

So, if you'll excuse me, I have to go wipe my daughter's bottom. She's had diarrhea for the last 24 hours. It's 3 a.m. now. That'll be 5 bucks per wipe, and an additional $2.50 for the overtime, please.

4 comments:

Topsy said...

Nice Susie. With so many ways to quantify the usefulness and blessings of a stay at home mom, money seems like one of the last things on the list.

Malauna said...

I was getting wound-up reading some of those comments - I went to the source. Then this thought came to me in the shower: My work as a stay at home mom is PRICELESS. I agree with Nisa, as well.

Steph said...

Maybe each minute of patiently trying at motherhood (the wiping, burping, cleaning, homeworking, worrying, etc) will net us moments of pure bliss in the hereafter. That's better than any amount of money to me.

Cherish said...

I love this post! Amen sister! No dollar amount could be put on the influence that we as SAHM have on our children...and the world for that matter.

I think overtime deserves more than $2.50! JK