Monday, May 19, 2008

Dulling the senses.

This afternoon Anna kept asking to watch a movie or play the computer. She had already played the computer for 45 minutes, leaving only 15 minutes of "media time" for the day, which I knew would be more than fulfilled when Lily woke up from her nap and requested a movie herself.
I had bright ideas of filling our days with endless fun this summer by limiting "media" to Fridays and Saturdays, but after the following conversation, I'm not so sure I can pull it off.
Anna: Can I watch a movie?
Me: No.
Anna: (after an audible groan) But mom, I love movies.
Me: Yep, I know. There's lots of fun things to do around here. Can you think of anything you like to do more than watch movies?
Anna: Well, I really like to play Dora (Translation: I like to watch Nick Jr. shows on the computer. In other words, I like to watch movies on the TV and on the computer.)
Me: We went to the zoo today. Did you like that better than watching a show?
Anna: No.
Me: How about going to the park?
Anna: No.
Me: Coloring?
Anna: Nope.
Me: Playing outside?
Anna: No.
Me: Okay. Do you like swimming better than watching movies?
Anna: Yeah. I love swimming.

So I suppose that means we will be spending a heck of a lot of time at the pool this summer.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, that sounds an awful lot like the conversation I seem to be having over and over again (ad nauseum) with Slade.

Anonymous said...

I love those conversations! With Jake it is usually Xbox instead of TV, but the dialogue remains the same.

Cherish said...

What is it with anything electronic? I feel like I am always saying "let's turn it off and find something else to do" Happy swimming this summer!

Annie said...

I have a feeling that I will have a similar tug-a-war with our future children. Especially since my husband is an electronic addict! Be expecting a call from me when the time comes ;)

Michelle said...

See you there.