Thursday, July 10, 2008

Another show bites the dust.

The TV is rarely on at our house. Still, when there's laundry to be done, Tim and I are always grateful when we've just picked up the latest season of one of our favorite shows from the Bookmobile. Last week, after getting one of the DVD sets to such a show, we prepared for the week-long marathon. Even better, we were home alone and could watch it without having to turn the volume down.
I think we got through about 4 episodes before determining that we were using the fast forward button way too much. It was so loaded with sex, violence, profanity and other such content that I couldn't help but question my commitment to it. On the other hand, it's an amazing show. Great mix of sci-fi and drama, complex characters, deep themes, captivating story... it was a hard one to give up. But that's exactly what we did. Just couldn't justify it.
Tim and I have reluctantly given up shows we love in the name of censorship. Many times. Usually, I'm the one who initiates it, mostly because my minimal exposure to TV and movies as a kid left me less desensitized that my all-summer-long-unlimited-TV-viewing husband. I can't blame him. But he never gives me grief about it. He's a good man. After our most recent sacrifice, I apologized that my sensitivity to media content causes us to relinquish so much of our post-bedtime(for the kids) entertainment. Tim replied, "Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son to show his commitment to the Lord, I think we can give up a few shows here and there." Thank you, Tim, for putting things into perspective.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

You're BOTH good people and, in my estimation, making the kinds of choices that all of us need to be making regularly in today's "worldly" world. Thanks for the good example.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Mom's comment. Love you SO much. Oh, and thanks for the advice and/or comments you gave to me, through Mom. :) You catching my drift? I'll call soon and give you a better idea.

Anonymous said...

What was the d@*# show?