
I'd like to break the cold cereal habit. Don't get me wrong, there are worse foods one can indulge in than cold cereal every morning. After all, they're enriched, right? My two main problems are cost and satiety (or lack thereof). The amount of cereal we consume as a family and the resulting cost makes $4/gallon gas sound like a bargain. Also, I can't help but imagine a day when my kids aren't begging for a snack by 9:30 a.m. Maybe if I loaded them up on heartier foods in the wee hours of the morning, we might actually have full tummies for a season.
I've had this idea for months, but thanks to my pregnancy have not yet put it into practice. Heck, I can barely get dinner on the table, and now I have to make a breakfast menu? So, if you have any ideas of fairly simple breakfasts that will add variety, save money, increase satiety, and/or get us all to sit down together each morning, I'm open for any and all suggestions.
5 comments:
Man if I was still there I'd be at Winco right now, stocking up on their bulk food section, using all plastic containers that I bought at the local plastic manufacturer. And then we'd be eating yummy granola with yogurt every morning.
My kids also like a fried egg on a whole wheat english muffin. It isn't cheaper but it lasts in their tummy longer.
How is the real estate going?
We eat a lot of cold cereal too, for the same reasons. But Chatterbox (the 4 year old) does best with an egg and toast. On Sundays I have to make sure that's what she eats or she can't make it through church, and I think with Kindergarten around the corner, it will become a daily food. She will also eat a mini-bagel with cream cheese sometimes. At one point, they were both eating a bowl (or two) of oatmeal each morning, which seemed to last them much longer than the cold cereal for some reason.
A variation on the egg and toast is "Egg in a Frame" where you use a drinking glass to cut a hole in a piece of bread, butter both sides of the hollowed piece and the remaining circle, and crack the egg inside. The kids think that is pretty fun (and LOVE the toasted circle with jam).
That was long. Sorry. You should post if you get other ideas. I'm still coming up short for Smidget.
Waffles. We love waffles. I make a big batch to eat fresh and then freeze the rest. Then we reheat them in the toaster. Better than Eggos.
Pancakes. See above.
Fruit and yogurt.
Scrambled Egg omlets. I have never successfully made an omlet, so I just scramble up the eggs and then add toppings I like.
Fried eggs on English muffins. Sometimes I put sausage on them as well.
Cinnamon rolls and yogurt.
I've been pretty good at having a breakfast other than cold cereal 3 days a week for the last month and a half. I suggest you start with a few days a week before you give up cold cereal cold turkey.
We are eggo fans around here. Simply because they are so easy and filling. They have several different types to choose from. Our favorites are the french toast or homestyle waffels, and I like the wheat ones. You can buy a big box of them at Costco for like $6. We also love the turkey Jimmy Dean sausage. You can also get that at Costco and all you have to do is pop it in the microwave.
We also like hashbrowns. They are way cheap and filling. It seems like my kids eat them better with cheese on top.
Or German Pancakes...they are easy to make and are always a hit with the kids.
I hope you are feeling okay. And, I agree you don't look a day over 19 ;)
where is my suzie q
what is going on in her life that keeps her so busy?
missing you.
Post a Comment