Thursday, July 3, 2008

Let us all press on.


When I was younger my family attempted to teach us kids the hymn Let Us All Press On. I'm assuming it was an attempt to get us to sing in sacrament meeting. We worked on all three verses until we had it perfect. We might have done the same with other hymns but this is the only one I remember.

Early this year, we started the practice of singing a hymn between family scripture study and family prayer each night. We choose the hymn during Family Home Evening on Monday night and sing it daily until the kids pretty much have it memorized. Then we start over again with a new hymn. Again, the goal is to help the kids recognize some of the hymns we sing in sacrament meeting so that they will be more inclined to join in than continue working feverishly on their coloring pages.

It's worked pretty well. They've been pretty excited when the organ pipes up with Love At Home, The Iron Rod, I Stand All Amazed, and other favorites, sometimes embarrassing us by singing at full blast. For the past two weeks, we attempted to learn Let Us All Press On, it having been a fond childhood memory of mine. The kids loved it! When we switched to High on the Mountain Top this week, they agreed but quietly protest each night by beginning our nightly hymn ritual with Let Us All Press On. They sing it in the car, around the house, in the yard... all the while proclaiming their love for the song.

I think it's cute. I also wonder what the draw is to this particular hymn. After all, it is perhaps the only song I can claim to have memorized at age 5 and now my children have followed in my footsteps. So, if you want your kids to start singing hymns in sacrament meeting, you now know which one to begin with.

2 comments:

Topsy said...

That is a wonderful idea, having the kids practice hymns so they have the memorized for church. Wonderful!

Cherish said...

That is cute. I remember that hymn from my childhood days too. My grandpa would sing it to me all the time. That is a great idea to do with the kids!