I've found myself in a bit of a quandary. Fully expecting that there would be plenty of moms willing to join me in organizing a Joy School group for my second oldest child, the previously-committed are actually not so committed. They're dropping like flies, in fact. The group of 6 mother-teachers that I thought I had recruited has dwindled to only 3 and one maybe (a new recruit herself, as of today).
Though I understand the reasons why individuals prefer to send their kids to a local preschool and I certainly don't judge those who wish to do so, I am frustrated by the circumstances. Lily has been exposed to Joy School since Anna began two years ago, loves it, and has been looking forward to her own Joy School experience since then. I can't let her down. And yet, I can't do it with only two other moms!
As a cry out to people who either might be interested or know someone who might be interested, I issue my top reasons for doing Joy School as an alternative to a traditional preschool.
1. It's super-cheap. At $280 for four semesters (2 years) for an unlimited number of children within the same family, it's a steal even when compared with reasonably-priced Boise preschools (the cheapest I know of is $990 for the same length of time, and that's just for one kid!).
2. It's basically an extension of parenting. The Joy School curriculum teaches values that I'm already trying to instill in my children on a daily basis. The difference is, the lessons are getting reinforced by other moms I trust. Academics will be part of school for the rest of their lives, but when else are they going to learn the joys of goal-setting, individual confidence, trust, imagination and so many others?
3. I know that my little ones will only be around for a short time. I want to cherish those years. While I enjoy the "break" twice a week during the weeks that others teach, I also relish the level of involvement I have in their early childhood education as I do Joy School. I know exactly what they are learning and I can reinforce it at home.
4. The rapport with other mother-teachers is unbeatable. We hold regular planning meetings (well, at least planning is supposed to be what we do) and I truly value the advice we all give each other in our teaching (and parenting) roles. Teaming up with other experienced moms gives one sanity amid the chaos that is motherhood.
5. It's really not that hard. When I tell people that I participate in a mother's co-op preschool where we each teach, many people look at me with incredulity and say something to the effect of, "Well, that's great, but I just don't have it in me." To which I want to say, "Believe me, I am no supermom." The Joy School curriculum is all online, complete with a detailed lesson plan and all the materials you need to teach. The first year was more challenging, because we had to make all the flannelboard cut-outs and tools used in the lessons, but now that everything is made, the prep time is significantly reduced. Plus, as a seasoned teacher, my stress level is minimal. Crazy, undisciplined children simply don't get to me as they used to. And I've learned tons of tricks about how to get even the most difficult children under control. Priceless.
6. Many moms look forward to a bit of a break from their kids. I fully understand why, but for some reason don't crave it as others do. But I do think that my kids need a break from me, a chance to spread their wings, to interact with kids their age in a learning environment and to learn respect for adults other than their parents. (Ha! As if they respect their parents.)
So, on the days when I watch my daughter run happily to the front door of a trusted friend for a fun-filled 2 hours of Joy School, I can rest easy. Because this is "her" time. Okay, and I guess it's "my" time, too. Precious time to spend with my other children. Or to get something done.
So there's the short list. No, Joy School is not for everybody. But it most definitely is for me.
Oh, and if there's anyone out there who has ever done Joy School and has something to add to this list, please leave a comment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I would do it with you if I was there!
Nathan is still sad that he can't share Mrs. Patricia with his sister.
I did Joy School with Chatterbox in Michigan and loved it. Finding the right group is the tricky part for me, but if you can swing it, it is great. And the economical aspect is a huge bonus. Plus, she loved having me be the teacher sometimes. :)
Post a Comment