Tuesday was Tim's 30th birthday. Yes, I married a younger man. He likes to remind me of that often. A few weeks ago I asked him how he wanted to celebrate his big day and he replied that he just wanted to spend it with the family, maybe grab a bite to eat for dinner, nothing big. Part of me was relieved. After all, pregnancy is not my favorite time to add demands to the plate, if you will. But, knowing how social Tim is, and recalling how many times he's remarked in the past few months how "we just don't have anyone over anymore", I read between the "oh, I don't need anything big" lines and had him pick four families with which to have Sunday dinner (two days before his actual birthday). His first selection: a family in our ward who have seven children. Seven! I almost cut the list right there. His next few choices were a little more reasonable, so I went on with the original plan.
I spent five days last week whipping up some of Tim's favorite Indian dishes, one a day, to be exact, and two additional days concocting a five layer peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake, froze them all, and broke them out again before the big event. The food was delectable (I'm not bragging, though!), the company was great and it reminded me how much we love having visitors... and how we hate the cleanup. The 13 kids we hosted made sure that our back patio was smeared with cupcakes. Which is exactly why we sent them outside... But still, we love company and wish that convenience and company were better companions because it would enable us to have everyone we care about over frequently instead of the once in a blue moon to which we have grown accustomed.
How I know it was a great success? Tim practically grabbed the phone away from me that evening as I was talking to my mother and said something to the effect of, "Thank you so much for your daughter. You put in all the work, and I get to enjoy the benefits." Score.
Good thing I put in all the work last week because on his birthday, I taught Joy School, which typically renders me completely unmotivated to accomplish anything else that day (including getting a decent dinner on the table) so we packed the kids up and headed to Outback. Mmmm.
I spent five days last week whipping up some of Tim's favorite Indian dishes, one a day, to be exact, and two additional days concocting a five layer peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake, froze them all, and broke them out again before the big event. The food was delectable (I'm not bragging, though!), the company was great and it reminded me how much we love having visitors... and how we hate the cleanup. The 13 kids we hosted made sure that our back patio was smeared with cupcakes. Which is exactly why we sent them outside... But still, we love company and wish that convenience and company were better companions because it would enable us to have everyone we care about over frequently instead of the once in a blue moon to which we have grown accustomed.
How I know it was a great success? Tim practically grabbed the phone away from me that evening as I was talking to my mother and said something to the effect of, "Thank you so much for your daughter. You put in all the work, and I get to enjoy the benefits." Score.
Good thing I put in all the work last week because on his birthday, I taught Joy School, which typically renders me completely unmotivated to accomplish anything else that day (including getting a decent dinner on the table) so we packed the kids up and headed to Outback. Mmmm.
4 comments:
Ryan told me that Sabrina was jealous of all of that kid noise she could hear during the party.
That's the trouble with throwing a party without inviting your neighbors. We were trying to "branch out" but obviously were discovered :) Hope you enjoyed your piece of cake.
Yes it was delicious. You are an amazing cook.
You are AMAZING!!! I wish I was a good cook...but no such luck. Sounds like you spoiled him and everyone had a delicious dinner and cake. Lucky Tim!
Post a Comment