Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A is for Anna.

Anna's teacher called today. I had mentioned to her that Anna is an excellent reader but wondered if Anna had shown enough courage to actually display her ability in class. Turns out Anna has met with the reading specialist a couple of times and not said a single word. I'm a little frustrated, I admit, though not surprised at all. Mrs. T. said that if her fear prevents her from reading with a teacher, then putting her with a group of 1st graders for reading would truly be intimidating. Probably not Anna's cup of tea. I agree. And yet, there's something very disconcerting about a girl who's reading (easily) at a second grade level who will not bother to try her best when given the opportunity.

It's not about bragging rights. I don't care if my child reads below or above grade level, as long she's trying her best. But she seems content to practice writing letters that she's known since she was two. In fact, she loves kindergarten! So why the worry? I don't know, I suppose I want her to feel the joy that comes from achievement, the confidence that one finds in excelling. Though I wasn't ever at the top of my class, much of my junior high and high school identity was linked to my performance in class and music. For me, it was easier to weather the insecurity that plagues most teenagers because I felt that even though I wasn't skinny, or funny, or unbelievably athletic, I did what I did best. I figured out what my talents were early on, and I took great pride in them. Perhaps I'm just hoping that Anna figures it out early too.

Anna was spared a lecture today. I took the light-hearted approach by teasing her about being scared of the reading specialist. She laughed when I asked her if she thought that monsters would start crawling out of the teacher's desk if Anna started reading. Or if her pencil would come alive and poke Anna in the eye. Then I made sure to sneak in a little plug about doing your best and not letting shyness get in the way of doing a good job. I hope it worked.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Ironically, today I am teaching a lesson about "Developing Your Talents" to my Activity Days group. Do you mind if I share your story??

p.s. I think that Danny is finally figuring out that he needs to develop and SHARE his talent in singing (after much nagging from me). He has been asked to sing in church again! WAHOO!

Polliwog said...

I have had the same fears with Chatterbox. The kindergarten teacher was "amazed" that she knew all 30 sight words for the year--oh, brother that was only the tip of the iceberg. She's at a 2nd grade level as well and I don't think they have any idea (or will as the sight words are the extent of the testing). I have gone back and forth with what to do--tell them, or just let the girl enjoy kindergarten? My mom dealt with these same issues and feels that the social isolation that comes with moving up (to first grade for reading, for instance) is not worth it. Her advice is that the school system will never challenge and enrich her the way she needs, and so take and enjoy what we can get there and continue the chapter books and enrichment at home. That's where we are right now. I hope it helps.

Susie said...

Good food for thought, Polliwog. Thanks!

Topsy said...

I know! I know! Move to Texas! They sent home their reading books for homework on week two. They do scientific thinking, addition, subtraction with two digit numbers! ALREEADY! They skipped studying letters and went straight to book reports. It totally freaked me out when I saw his syllabus come home and his homework that requires that they already be reading sentences. This curriculum here is soooooooooo not what he did in Idaho. Kindergarten should be about dancing and painting. Let her PLAY! Yeah!

Jessica Waters said...

You may find that your little Anna needs that year to socialize and get comfortable with where she is. My Anna was the same way!
1st grade came along and she decided it was ok that she knew more and she asked her teacher for more work! We asked her to send home some worksheets that were at the next grade level- when she brought those back to school her teacher realized she was in a different place than what she showed at school. She then had a higher expectation for her. Anna rose to the challenge!
If she loves to learn and you have a teacher that is willing to put in the extra work to challenge her they will.
Now I have to tell Anna to put down the books and homework and go play outside! Whoever would of thought I would have a child that I had to tell to stop working and enjoy life. If you remember I preferred to enjoy life over going to class!!