Thursday, September 4, 2008

What we've been up to.

What I've been up to is neglecting my blog, that's what. And not for a lack of good material. I have a habit of logging into blogger briefly, allowing myself just enough time to type in a title and a first sentence of a blog post that has been on my mind. This way I can complete my thoughts when I get around to it. Except that I haven't gotten around to it for a while now. Blogging has simply slipped on the list of priorities.
So here's a quick recap.
First, the presidential election just got interesting again. Plenty of thoughts on Governor Palin, both good and bad. Really, though, she's gotten the press talking again. Can't say the same for Obama's VP pick. Boring.
Lily started Joy School and is a pro. She sings all the songs, participates in each activity with enthusiasm, and completely knows the drill. Guess it helps that she's been Anna's Joy School shadow for the past two years.
We spent Labor Day with my parents, who drove up for the holiday. I'll be sure to post pictures soon.
September is shaping up to be a busy month for our family. We've been complaining about the weeds that have slowly encroached closer and closer to our property line (in the common area)for months now, as they have also invaded a couple of beds in our backyard. With the recent fires in our neighborhood we are extra motivated to clear that space once and for all. We've spent the last two Saturdays hacking down weeds, spraying them, and laying down weed mats 12 feet back from our property line. Tomorrow 15 yards of rock will be delivered covering the entire area with a bed at least 4 inches deep. Just when I thought our landscaping projects were over and done with, now we're working on land we don't even own! The upside is, since the homeowner's association hasn't bothered to clear the brush for us, perhaps they won't notice the vegetable garden I'll be planting there next spring.
Rachel's now speaking in phrases, has graduated to a toddler bed and recognizes the urge to use the bathroom (though she hasn't quite made it into the potty yet). I'm not rushing a 21-month old, just humoring her. She is the apple of Tim's eye.
Sometimes I just want to freeze time and keep them little forever. Little and innocent. Little and trusting. Little and squeezable. I will miss them when they grow up. Sure, I'm exhausted by the rigors of early parenthood. I can't wait till Tim gets home everyday to relieve me. I anticipate each opportunity to spend time alone on a date with my husband. I wish I had the opportunity to relax in the soaker tub that is collecting dust in my oversized master bathroom. I can't wait until a family bike ride does not involve only me on one bike pulling three kids in some fashion (although Anna has graduated to her own two wheels, the bun in the oven will soon require his/her own seat).
All of that being said, my joy is overflowing. My life is so rich that I can't help but want to grasp onto it as if it couldn't get any better. Can it?

2 comments:

Polliwog said...

Beautiful. I have been thinking that I need to be more grateful and focus on all of the blessings in my life instead of what's hard. I appreciated reading this.

Shannan said...

congrats on the baby Susie. I am happy for you! Four kids! Maybe you will get a boy this time?? If not you can always adopt one! :)