Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The healthiest kid in the neighborhood.


The last two weeks have been a huge Joy School fest at our house. We're learning about our bodies, what a "joy" they are, and how to take care of them. Coincidentally. I'm also reading a book about health and nuritition as it pertains to kids and have found it to be quite enlightening. So yesterday we had a flannelboard discussion where I divided the flannelboard in half and each child randomly drew a picture of a food item and had to place it on the "healthy" food side or the "sometimes" food side.

Surprisingly, Lily was spot on with all of her choices. She proudly pulled out the broccoli and announced, "Healthy food!" before placing it on the board. She later picked out the pear, "Healthy food!" Correct again. I think that instead of mentally processing which foods were healthy and which ones were sometimes foods, she determined her answer solely by whether or not she likes the item. Dislike equals healthy food. Want to eat it all the time equals sometimes food.

She likes to inform me that when she's four, she'll start eating all the foods for which she currently turns up her nose. I'm not crossing my fingers.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

That would be about four months from now - who knows, maybe she'll truly convert by then. At least she's being taught at an early age. Good luck!