
Our family has a tradition of eating breakfast for dinner on Sunday evenings. It all began when our ward started meeting from 1-4 pm and, wanting the Sabbath to truly be a day of rest on all accounts, I resolved that cooking breakfast takes less time and energy than most of the other meals on my menu. Coming home at 4:15, starving already, with little time for rolls to rise or lasagna to bake, it just made sense for us. Even after switching to the 9 am schedule early this year, leaving us plenty of time for dinner preparation, the tradition still sticks. (Side note: perhaps the biggest advantage to breakfast-for-dinner Sundays is that Tim is often the head chef and I get to play back-up.)
Tonight someone had the brilliant idea to make chocolate-chip pancakes. Now, I'm not sure that I've ever actually eaten such a pancake, before tonight, that is, but it sounded delightful. I consoled myself with the fact that we were making them with freshly ground whole-wheat flour, increasing the nutrition content by leaps and bounds. Let's face it, though, there wasn't much to begin with.
I've heard of people serving chocolate chip pancakes topped with whipped cream, additional chocolate chips, and a sprinkling of powdered sugar. After tonight, I can't imagine such gluttony. It is with deep regret that I admit that tonight, we broke our tradition of breakfast for dinner to eat dessert for dinner. I ate mine plain. No syrup, no butter, nothing. Who needs it when eating the equivalent of a chocolate chip cookie? They were so rich that our kids, who normally devour pancakes like, well, like pancakes, could only stomach one each before they complained of being uncomfortably full.
I think we'll opt for omelettes next week.
1 comment:
Chocolate chip pancakes are a fav. at our house!!!!! I chop up my chips and that is just enough that you get a taste. YUMMY!!!!!
Post a Comment