There are dozens of government sponsored services of which I do not intend to take advantage at any point of my life. In spite of such "principles", there is one service that I truly could not live without. I love the Bookmobile. More broadly speaking, I love the public library system. I reserve countless books and DVD's so that I do not have to drop hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars a year on a cable subscription, Tivo , children's book clubs and impulse book purchases at Costco. Sure, some in-demand titles require the utmost patience from even the thriftiest of cheapskates. But it's worth it. We've almost doubled the number of books on our shelves (on a rotating basis, of course).
At times, I feel a bit disconcerted that our tax dollars are paying for my version of Netflix. Books are justifiable. Arguably, literacy contributes to society in ways that cannot always be measured but which are undeniable. Come on, though. I don't see how watching the third season of Stargate: Atlantis this week is going to help either Tim or me improve humanity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Stargate will help for when the aliens arrive...unless they are already here.
I thought we were the only people cheap enough (or patient enough) to endure the wait. We usually see a movie nine months to a year after it is released. Now that you have told the secret we will be waiting longer.:)
Post a Comment