Friday, April 25, 2008

Deep thoughts.


I'm positively not the first person to use plants in an analogy but today Anna asked me a question that gave me pause. She said, "Mom, why don't weeds need a lot of water to grow?" My reply: "Because they're weeds. They can grow pretty much anywhere, they don't need good soil, lots of water, or anything that good plants need to grow."

I then kind of got lost in my own thoughts rather than seizing the opportunity to teach Anna. Regardless, this is what I came up with. Weeds are, by definition, a nuisance. No one likes them. Despite our best efforts to control them, they proliferate.

We have this area on the south side of our house that is nothing but peat gravel an inch thick on top of the worst soil money can buy. I'm not as particular about weeding this spot because it's out of the way and it's not as if there are any other plants from which to steal nutrients. Needless to say, we have no sprinklers on that side of the house. Last summer there was one weed that grew about two feet before I even noticed it. I left it alone, curious as to how tall it might grow in a spot that receives no water and loads of sun of the 100+ degree variety. The thing grew to 6 feet (in a matter of days)before Tim hacked it down, disgusted at my tolerance for it. Six feet!

In contrast, we spent hours amending the soil before planting 5 hybrid tea rose bushes, planted them carefully, water them feverishly, fertilize them faithfully, spray them for aphids regularly, and prune them annually to ensure their growth and beauty. And beautiful they are.

I've probably already illustrated my point adequately. Sometimes something beautiful can thrive in spite of us, rather than because of us. Other times, even with the proper care, the most tender of individuals may not flourish. But, as a general rule, my children have no guarantee of becoming more than a weed unless I nurture and teach them properly. And, considering how priceless they are to me, I think it's an investment that's well worth it.

No comments: