This past Sunday night a dear friend passed away after a terrible scooter accident. Not only has it completely altered the way this entire week played out as far as schedules were concerned, there has just been this undercurrent of grief ever-present in our household. I don't want to minimize the loss that his wife and three beautiful daughters have suffered by expressing some of my thoughts, but I thought I would share a few of the things that have been on my mind this week.
First, how fragile life is. Brother Bruce was teaching Sunday School one morning and by the next morning, he was gone. Many of us can probably rattle off a handful of times that we have narrowly escaped death. Most of mine happened while riding a bike through the streets of Taiwan. Have you ever pondered why you may have escaped death rather than faced it? I guess it doesn't really matter. One thing's for sure. The Lord can take us whenever He wants.
Second, am I wasting my earthly probation? I'm glad that the answer is no on most days. After reading Brother Bruce's obituary, I was astounded by all his accomplishments. Some big. Some small. All were profound. He has affected our family in many simple ways but there's no doubt that they left their mark. I hope that, at age 41, my accolades will demonstrate the strength of character that his have.
Third, the importance of eternal covenants. Having lost several close family members, including two brothers, I am especially grateful for the promise that we will be reunited in the next life. I know this and it brings me great comfort.
Fourth, the importance of preparation. Temporal and spiritual. Do my habits regarding money reflect a reckless abandon or a desire to ensure that my posterity is well taken care of? Am I teaching my kids the important things in life? Am I living what I teach?
It's been a busy week. But not devoid of many moments of quiet reflection. We will miss our friend, and we mourn for his sweet family. I don't think that Brother Bruce's passing was intended for our learning and growth, but I do know that it has been the catalyst for self-reexamination by many who knew him. He was a great man. I hope to be more like him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Suz - brother bruce? From the ward? Please say no, please say it was someone else.
nisa
Beautiful post, Susie. I've had similar thoughts swimming in my head all week, but I've been unable to put them to words.
No matter the religious affiliation, death always seems to rock your world, cause you to ponder, and count your many blessings. I did not know Brother Bruce, but I am mourning for his family just the same. Thanks for the post Susie.
Post a Comment