Saturday, April 26, 2008

Don't cry over spilled popcorn.

Today promised spring-like weather so I figured it was high time we headed to Target so the girls could pick out flip-flops and a pair of sunglasses for summer. Since I also had a list of more boring items to purchase, I spoiled them with a one dollar bag of popcorn and a drink to share for their joy ride in the shopping cart. After only a few moments of eating, Anna managed to spill the entire contents of the bag all over the bottom of the cart and floor. She was so sincerely apologetic that I patiently said, "It's all right, it was an accident, let's just pick it all up and put it back into the bag." Both Anna and Lily teamed up for the effort and in a couple of minutes, the mess had disappeared. Only then did they realize that there was nothing left to consume. They were pretty upset that their snacktime had been ruined, but accepted the natural consequences of not having been careful.
On another day, I might have gotten flustered by the inconvenience of having a shopping trip interrupted by spilled popcorn. I already stick out like a sore thumb by stuffing my three very young children into a very small shopping cart (children who I really wish came with volume control). On another day I might have expressed my embarrassment by being overly short or critical of Anna's lack of care.
Today I saw exactly what a patient response can generate. First, my kids got to feel the disappointment that comes as a natural consequence of carelessness. If I had criticized them, they would have missed that, feeling instead, the disapproval of their mother.
Second, they quickly saw the necessity of cleaning up. If I had commanded them to pick up their mess, they would have resisted (this being the natural reaction of children) thus resulting in an even more exasperating experience for everyone.
I think I'm finally starting to get it.
I love being a mother.
At least today.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Very touching post, Susie. It DOES feel good to get it right once in a while, doesn't it? As I watch you though, I am impressed that you seem to get it right a lot. You're a great mom.

Cherish said...

Patients are priceless...sometimes hard to come by when we have young ones who are always giving us a "test" in patients.
Good Job!

reyesohana said...

Susie -
Just wanted to know how much I enjoy reading your blog. You are a great writer and I learn much from you. thanks
michele