Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The sun'll come out tomorrow.


I almost forgot! Last week I splurged on tickets to the Broadway musical Annie so that Anna and I could enjoy a date together. She was adorable. I don't think she quite understood the concept of a play. It was hard for her to grasp that Annie was really a girl named Amanda who was pretending to be Annie. Even after I told her that all the people on stage were just acting out a story like she and Lily do at home, the questions kept coming. I guess she needs repeated exposure. Or someone to explain it a little better.

Anyway, we had such a great time. The next day, she woke up and the first words out of her mouth were, "Mom, thanks so much for taking me to the play last night. I loved it!" An unprovoked "thank you"? I'll take it! I even caught her singing the songs.

More than anything, it made me grateful for an inquisitive daughter who is inspired by music, finds great joy in simple things (like a Tic-tac during intermission) and rarely forgets to show her gratitude. I love my Anna.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

That sounds so fun! I would have loved seeing Anna's delight in the theater. Did she dress up for her special date with Mom?

Anonymous said...

We are hoping to so something similar with the kids when the Tuacahn season starts here. Easy to underestimate the power of a good one on one date with your kids.