Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Three kids and still counting...

I'm experiencing something for the first time. My youngest child is approaching 17 months old and my desire to have another one is virtually non-existent. I was pregnant with Lily by the time Anna was only 14 months old. When Lily was only 13 months old, I became pregnant with Rachel (surprise!). Although the latter of the two announcements came as a bit of a shock, I greeted it with a bit of reluctant excitement. (Can those two words go together?) Reluctance because early pregnancy is no cake walk but excitement at adding another child to our family.
I held and stared at a number of babies this past weekend. They were absolutely precious. But as soon as I passed them back to their mothers, I recalled the sleepless nights, the constant feeding, the complete dependence that accompanies such a wee thing. And I don't want any part of it. Not yet, at least. Is it the third child that did it to us? Is it the vivid memory of how she almost starved her first night home from the hospital because she couldn't figure out how to eat? Is it the fact that she still wakes up by 6:30 a.m. every day? Is it the close spacing of our children that makes adding another one to the clan an almost-unbearable thought?
Not to worry. The fourth installment of the Egbert family will come. In due time.

4 comments:

Topsy said...

My vote is having the kids so close! But you are a stud!

Malauna said...

You mentioning that this is the first year in 5 years to not be pregnant or nursing on your birthday got me to counting. And I've got you beat. 6 years in a row. Including this year. And if we have another one next year, I'll be looking at 8 years in a row before you know it! Crazy. Thanks for making me think.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nisa! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! That was me chanting just in case you were wondering :)

Cherish said...

Kudos to you for being brave enough to have them so close! I had my first two close (2 minutes apart ha,ha) but then the others are 3 years apart. I am with you, the thought of another totally dependent baby is to overwhelming to think about.

And, Happy (belated) Birthday to you! You old lady! (I can only say that cause I'm older than you are :)) I hope you had a good b-day!