Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fat or pregnant?

I have a fairly long torso. Generally, what this means is that by the end of my pregnancies, I don't have that so-big-I-look-like-I-could-pop appearance. In fact, during my second pregnancy, a lady at church came up to me when I was 7 1/2 months along and asked me if I was pregnant. Nope, just up 20+ pounds, thanks for asking. Which leads me to the downside of having a long torso. The transitional period that every woman experiences to some extent where one's options for clothing are significantly reduced by her expanding waistline but not enough that she would look anything less than silly sporting maternity clothes. Anyone who's been pregnant well knows what I'm referring to. Well, this stage drags into months for me. I'm 19 weeks along and currently fit into exactly 3 pairs of my "fat" shorts. As for tops, pretty much the same story. My daily regimen now includes about 20 minutes of trying on various combinations of pre-pregnancy and maternity clothes before deciding that I'd still rather look fat than pregnant.
Here's why. I have three kids age 5 and under. It is not uncommon for us to get peculiar looks or comments of the "you've got your hands full" variety. When my kids are behaving, I accept such reactions with some degree of pride, as if it were a mark of my capability as a mother. But my kids' behavior is sometimes nothing short of unseemly. So, in my rush to wear something remotely comfortable, I hesitate, knowing that one look at my pregnant belly and my 3 kids pulling each other's hair and screaming while sitting in a Costco shopping cart will elicit any number of responses from the general public, most of them of a judgmental nature. And I'm simply not prepared for that. Not yet. Maybe tomorrow. Today, I'll just let people think I could really use a gym pass.

5 comments:

Topsy said...

Ha Ha Ha
Just tell them that you are contributing to the Caucasian race, which in the next 5 years will be a minority in most large cities in the U.S. due to their reduction in procreation as compared to ethnic groups which honor families and are growing in the United States!

Or just stick out your tongue at them and plllllllphphphpph.

Polliwog said...

Great post!

I do know EXACTLY what you're talking about and then comes the post-baby weeks where people take a minute to even realize you have already had your baby.

Then the months of doing the same 20 minute what-shall-I-wear dance, but with less success because your maternity clothes really are a horrible option, yet you don't fit into anything else. (Ho hum) That's why I am wearing scrubs a lot.

Valerie said...

Although it's been 18 years since I last went through what you describe, I remember it VERY well and not very fondly. I found that I usually opted for comfort. And just think - soon you'll be able to drop off Anna and Lily at school and proceed to Costco with only Rachel. She'll be a perfect angel and everyone will think how lucky your expected baby is to come to such a perfect family!

Malauna said...

And I was just thinking how svelte you have been looking lately.

Mom said...

Oh, Susie! Of course, I know only too well what you are going through. Taking your oldest child to kindergarten and oh so pregnant with your fourth! Yes I did that too and got those looks and wished at times I could hide it. On the upside, it won't be too long before you'll get even more looks because you'll actually have the 4 unruly kids running around the grocery store causing mayhem. Yes, Susie, its only going to get worse before it gets better. And yet you'll still have those times when having 4 amazing kids will just make you proud. Good luck!