Friday, August 1, 2008

Something's gotta give..


I read the greatest article this past week about a young mother who had 4 kids under the age of six and the natural chaos that inevitably filled their household. It made me laugh. It made me scared, too. I also remember talking to a neighbor, who said that she had to give up her clean house as soon as her fourth child was born. At the time, I only had two and I thought to myself, "Nah. You've just gotta be supermom. Sacrifice a little sleep! Train the kids to do it! How hard can it really be?" I now realize my naivete and anticipate making some significant sacrifices as soon as this fourth child arrives.

It's just a given that having kids is a sacrifice, but I always planned that there were several things that I would never let go. My tidy house, for instance. An ordered, structured environment and lifestyle. Daily personal scripture study. My resolve to discipline my kids with consistency. The energy to run my kids ragged with fun and still get dinner on the table (and a few chores done in between).

I've done all right. But if I can keep it together most the time, is it truly a sacrifice? Have I really consecrated myself if I still feel relative control over my life?

I don't have an answer. I do think that stretching ourselves is what enables us to develop the Christlike attributes that will ultimately exalt us. I also believe that (being the first commandment God gave) bearing children is the primary way that we can accomplish this. But maybe the fact that I still feel some level of control over my life is due to having grown accustomed to the chaos and not because I haven't sufficiently sacrificed. I just might be getting better at this. Admittedly, though, I'm pretty sure that my house will, indeed, go to pot after this next baby is born.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I've got it sooo together - I see that I responded to THIS post on your previous post. That's probably a pretty good illustration of how I parented as well! You guys turned out amazingly well, all things considered.!!! btw, I think you do a great job at juggling everything and responding well to the hiccups that come with small children.

Lindsay said...

If it makes you feel any better, I still manage to keep my house clean with four children. Of course, it still can get that "lived in" look but so far I am always able to stay on top of things. This isn't to brag. Just to say that you can do it. Routines are key! I am sure you will be able to do it too because it is obviously something that is important to you. I know that I get really grumpy when my house is a mess so it is a needful thing for me to keep it tidy and orderly.