Tuesday, August 26, 2008

General alarm.

Last night I was looking forward to an early evening date with my pillow. Instead I got a call from my neighbor that prompted me to turn on the news immediately. Here's the story. Tim and I threw our 72-hour kits into the car, just in case, said a prayer, and hunkered down for a couple of hours in front of the TV set to watch the live coverage of events occuring less than a mile (as the crow flies) away from our home.
It's difficult to blog about serious events that affect other families so deeply because I feel as though anything I write will surely minimize their loss. However, in my efforts to keep a journal and record events as they affect our family, I feel obligated to express just one thought in particular. This morning as Lily blessed our breakfast, she thanked Heavenly Father for "letting us keep our house for a long time." I hadn't realized that she was capable of processing (at any level) the devastation that others in our neighborhood had suffered in last night's fire. Especially to the point that she would think to express her gratitude to the Lord without any reminders from her parents. I was dismayed at her tender thoughtfulness. It increased my own gratitude for the multitude of blessings life has afforded me. I can't imagine losing all of my earthly possessions in a fire. I can imagine holding my family close, basking in the joy of them, my eternal possessions.

4 comments:

Cherish said...

How scary! I am glad everything turned out okay for your family. It really puts life into perspective and reminds us of what is really important when we are faced with situations like those. It says a lot about your example and parenting when she is so little and prays like that...good job!

Topsy said...

So glad that your family was okay. I heard about the fire on the Whitted's blog and I was soo worried. It made me think twice about buying a house on a greenbelt. How awful.

Abbey said...

So glad to hear your family is safe. Sad to hear about the other tragedies. It must really touch your heart to hear Lily's thoughtfulness in her pray. What a sweety.

Annie said...

What to say...great post. Very touching!