Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Before I forget...

In the past week or so, Anna has had a couple of moments that I really need to document before I forget them.


1. Last week we were painting at the kitchen table and, after cleaning up all damage but what was left on the floor, I left the room to go change a load of laundry. I quietly remarked (half to myself) that I needed to come back and sweep the floor beneath the table shortly. What I came back to was shocking. Anna was emptying a combination of paint flakes, crumbs, (a fingernail?) and whatever else lives on our hardwood into a dustpan. Without being asked! I lavished her with praise and invited her to hold the dustpan while I finished the job. After the last speck of dust had settled in the trash can, she proposed, "Can I have some money?" Somehow I knew the unsolicited act of service was too good to be true.

2. Tim and I discovered several spots on the girls' bunkbed that appear to have been chewed at. That's because they have been chewed at. When Tim interrogated Anna about it, she carefully avoided the question and went on her merry way. That night when I took up the challenge to discover the truth, she hesitated, then admitted to having chewed on the headboard. When I asked her why, she simply said, "I like the taste of wood." It was pretty hard to stifle a laugh on that one.

No comments: