So this morning, as I was working out to one of my favorite aerobics videos for the 3rd time this week (hurray!), it struck me. I remembered the part in The Hiding Place where Betsy ten Boom prays and thanks God for the fleas in their concentration camp barracks (it's been a few years since I last read it, am I remembering it correctly so far?). Corrie (her sister and the book's author) thinks it ridiculous to thank God for something so detestable but goes along, recognizing her sister's superiority in spiritual matters. In any case, they later find out that the fleas are, in fact, the reason that the guards never enter their quarters, thus allowing them to study the Bible on a regular basis with their fellow captives. That very ritual was a source of great strength to them during their ordeal and might have, in fact, prolonged their lives because of the boost it was to their spirits in spite of such troubling circumstances.
As I was saying, though, I thought back to this particular lesson and found that I should have been thanking the Lord for the fact that Rachel wakes up every morning at 6:30 a.m. (most of the time, even earlier). Why? Because it now affords me some precious exercise time, time that I have excused away because I can't get a decent night's sleep! I'm still not getting a decent night's sleep, but I am sweatin' to the oldies! (Just checking to see if you're still reading :)
Oh, and thanks mom, for the title idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good insights, Susie. And congrats on 3 days of exercise this week!
That was soooo my favorite book in Junior High. I think I read it about 10 times and I definately remember the part about the fleas. I also would compare early morning exercise with nasty fleas.
Our family seems to be afire with exercise! I hope we can all maintain and attain our goals, then when we get together next, we can celebrate our new levels of fitness - with a lo-cal array of delectables! Keep up the good work Suz.
Post a Comment