I got a call from the Republican National Committee the other day. I've never been a straight-ticket voter, but I have always considered myself a Republican and tend to vote that way with very few exceptions. I confirmed this with the lady on the phone, after which she launched into a campaign of guilting me into supporting the RNC, financially, of course. Most of the
tirade included scare tactics like, "I'm sure you know that the Democrats, being backed by labor unions and Hollywood liberals have raised millions of dollars to get the likes of Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, or John Edwards into office. Surely, you would like to prevent them from weakening our national defense, compromising our borders, and socializing medicine."
tirade included scare tactics like, "I'm sure you know that the Democrats, being backed by labor unions and Hollywood liberals have raised millions of dollars to get the likes of Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, or John Edwards into office. Surely, you would like to prevent them from weakening our national defense, compromising our borders, and socializing medicine."I couldn't agree with her more. In fact, I'm probably about as conservative as it gets when it comes to such policies. However, I was pretty perturbed by the use of leading questions and, at times, downright intimidation to get me to open my pocketbook.
Here's another problem. The Republicans are a complete sell-out. In the past four years they've been too busy perfecting a "wide stance", granting amnesty to illegal immigrants, and sending sexually-charged emails to young congressional pages to earn any support from me. All the conservative principles that the idealist in me wanted to believe they would endorse have gone out the window. And so have all our tax dollars. I would have expected a Democrat to spend my (ok, Tim's) hard-earned money on useless programs but it appears that fiscal conservativism is now unpopular in both parties. Needless to say, I didn't give them a cent.
Grand Old Party... ha!
4 comments:
That is what you get for not being a Whig!
So, are you saying you want to donate or not? I wish you would be more clear and not beat around the bush! :)
Maybe they figure that we figure if we make monetary contributions, that will make us feel more like our vote counts.
Susie I am so proud of you. I feel like I'm afraid to say anything against the Republican party for fear of being publicly flogged. Especially in our area. It's about time we ALL stop voting along party lines and actually do our homework. Good job!!
Post a Comment