Sunday, January 20, 2008

Starting from scratch.

We're a few weeks into the new year and it's the third Sunday since I began teaching a new class at church, a class composed of 5 six-year-olds. I admit it. I already miss the class of 8 three-year-olds I taught last year. Today I sat in the back row of the Primary room when all the kids met together for singing time and a lesson and discovered that the kids in my class were the least well-behaved of the bunch. I couldn't help but gaze longingly as the little three-year olds I had worked so hard to train were sitting reverently in their seats while my class played musical chairs.

It's not that I don't have a great group of kids this year. I do. They just happen to be the type of children that take some time to adjust to new circumstances. And they just happen to deal with their inability to acclimate by acting out. Once we get into the classroom and they get a bit more individual attention, they are stellar. But I spent all of the 40 or so minutes of Sharing time stumped as to how I was going to get them to pay attention or, better yet, enjoy the experience.

Fast forward to just an hour or so ago. I found this great website called sugardoodle.net I now have a firm testimony of the power of google.

8 comments:

Katie M said...

I LOVE that site for nursery ideas. Man, that's a tough calling.

Annie said...

It souns like this group of kids need you! You will whip them into shape.

Annie said...

by the way, love the website!

Annie said...

You need to chat with my mom!! She has a class of super naughty 5 year olds and she's struggling to know what to do. Seriously, give Aunt Jan a call and maybe you both can offer support! Love you guys!

Polliwog said...

I use that site all the time. I am teaching the 3-4 year olds and it's NOT FUN. I loved it last year, but a new year means the kids are all a year younger again and this group I have is all over the place as far as skills go. Yikes. Teaching school was the same way, though. By the end of the year they were trained up perfectly for me, then I had to say goodbye and start over again. Boo hoo. :) Anyway, I feel your pain.

Cherish said...

That is a great website! I hope it gives you a little "relief". That is such a challenging way to spend your time at church. Especially when it is what we deal with day in and day out with our own children. Good luck with things!

sew happy Stacy said...

As one of the moms of your nursery group last year, I just wanted to say thank you!!! You did do an awsome job. Clara loved nursery and we were worried she wouldn't like primary, but she does great!!!! Thank you!!!

Susie said...

Aw. I think I'm going to cry. Thanks Stacy! I needed to hear that.