Monday, February 18, 2008

Brought tears to my eyes.


I grew up in the middle of boys. We are all very (sometimes uncomfortably?) close in age and were great playmates and friends over the years. Since having three girls of my own, though, my mind has been opened to the joy that I might have missed out on by being raised amid truck-driving (and throwing), cops and robbers playing, sword-fighting boys. Don't get me wrong, it was loads of fun, I'm just trying to illustrate a point here.

Tonight while we were consuming our last-minute Family Home Evening treat (brownies, what else?), Anna turned to Lily and said, "Lily, I'm going to miss you when you are a mom." Lily was pretty much oblivious, but my eyes welled up immediately. I was moved that my girls have developed such a tender friendship. Do they fight? Sure. Are they competitive? Of course. (Well, at least one of them is.) Could they live without each other? Probably not.

There are times when I have wondered if I was completely insane to space my children less than two years apart. Tonight I realized that it has been well worth the work. They have become the best of friends. Now, if we can only get them to survive the teenage years...

1 comment:

Topsy said...

I've always looked at families with a lot of girls and accidentally thought what a curse that must be. Haha, you knew I thought it! Anyway, obviously Sydney has been a tremendous blessing and I couldn't live without a daughter, but I still wanted another son. Now that he is on his way I can't help but realize that having sisters together must be such a treasure, a lifelong gift that blesses their lives for much longer than the average brother does. So you have been given a wonderful gift. And if your daughters ever take it for granted tell them to call old Aunt Nisa and I'll tell them tales of never having had a sister and all the blessings that I've missed out on.