About a month ago during sacrament meeting at church I made a critical discovery. It all started immediately following the sacrament, when the kids all scrambled for the "church bag" for the snacks that they rightfully earn by enduring 25-30 minutes of sitting quietly on a bench listening to songs that they cannot sing yet(because they can't read the hymnbook), hearing announcements that have no bearing on them, and participating in a sacrament service that, try though we have, they do not fully understand the significance of. I've always been a bit disconcerted by the ready-set-go type of behavior they exhibit as soon as the deacons return to their seats but I guess I never really considered the possibility that my kids could go without snacks for the 3 full hours that we attend church each Sunday.
This particular Sabbath Day, I watched as they stuffed their faces full of snacks for which they weren't even hungry, spilling crumbs everywhere and even tugging the little Ziploc bags from each other's hands, complaining that so and so had eaten more than her share. Loudly, I might add. It was enough of a scene that it provided the catalyst for our new sacrament meeting policy. Which is, simply put, no snacks during sacrament meeting. Rachel maintains her own private stash in the diaper bag, which dad feeds to her during the last two hours of church. Lily is still in nursery, so her snack is only put off for an hour or so, and Anna is almost 5. She can handle going without.
The kids are still complaining. But, to my relief, they no longer assume unhealthy eating habits by feeding themselves out of boredom and they fill their time with more worthwhile pursuits while at church (like playing I Spy, or coloring Disney Princess pictures). We still have a bit of work to do, I guess...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It is a great day when the no snack realization comes. We have never looked back.
I'm embarrassed that it took so long...
I think I'm too afraid to try it. You are so brave. I hope I can get there some day.
Post a Comment