Thursday, February 7, 2008

Year of the Rat.


Tomorrow is Chinese New Year. I have memories of watching fireworks on my dad's company yacht in Hong Kong harbor as a kid. As a missionary, we were invited to huge meals twice a day for almost two weeks straight in celebration of the festivities. Today there were no fireworks. No feasts. In fact, the celebration becomes less and less exciting each year as my energy wanes. I did, however make my favorite Oriental Chinese Chicken Salad (apparently this recipe predated political correctness) and Corn with Crabmeat Soup.


When I was in third grade, our class went to a camp for several days out in the boonies of Hong Kong's New Territories, which is where my love affair with this dish began. The food was very, shall we say, traditional... The cooks made a very weak attempt at accomodating international students by providing cold cereal each morning in the cafeteria. Cold cereal with nasty milk, that is. You know, the kind of milk that doesn't require refrigeration. Ew. Since I could neither satisfy my hunger nor my daily nutritional requirements with breakfast, as I was likely used to doing, I was famished by dinnertime.

One night, I tried Corn with Crabmeat Soup. I ended up going back for more. Nine times. I had high hopes that my children would pack it in the way I had back in the 80's. I guess I'll have to try again in a few years. Happy Chinese New Year!

Just for kicks, check out your lunar forecast.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that your memory might be failing you. HKIS only took kids out to Wu Kwai Sha in the 4th and 6th grades. Ni modo. That is still really cool that you discovered such a great dish at such a young age.

Susie said...

Third grade, fourth grade? Mere technicality, EJ.

Aunt Roo said...

Hey, I don't care how old you were... Can I have the recipes?

Susie said...

Yep. And you'll like this part - they're pretty darn lowfat.

Susie said...

Okay here goes, Rachel.
Corn with Crabmeat Soup

16 ounces corn frozen, whole
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 cans chicken broth
1 teaspoon ginger root
1/2 pound crab meat fresh
1/3 cup scallions, spring or green onions minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

Add half of corn to food processor or blender; process until finely chopped.
Add remaining corn. stir well and set aside. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl; stir well and set aside.
Combine chicken broth and gingerroot in a large saucepan;
bring to a boil.
Add corn, cornstarch mixture, crabmeat, green onions,
pepper and rice vinegar. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 3 minutes.

Oriental Chicken Salad

1 3 oz. pkg chicken flavor ramen noodles with seasoning packet reserved
4 c. shredded cabbage
4 green onions, sliced
3 T. vinegar
2 T. vegetable oil
¼ t. salt
2 T. sesame seeds
2 T. sugar
½ t. ground pepper
½ c. slivered almonds
2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped

Crush noodles and place in colander. Pour boiling water over them to soften slightly. In a mixing bowl combine cabbage, noodles, onions, sesame seeds and chicken. Make dressing: blend together the seasoning packet, vinegar, sugar, oil, pepper and salt. Blend well. Pour over salad and toss. Chill several hours or overnight. Before serving, light toast almond slivers and sprinkle over top. Serves 8.

Bon appetit!